Studies have indicated there may be a significant amount of lead in chocolate.
A study done by As You Sow shows that there could be high levels of lead and cadmium in your chocolate. What does that mean? Probably not what you think. Unless you’re horrified beyond all belief. Then it is exactly what you’re thinking.
A study done by the FDA found that milk chocolate had the fourth highest amount of lead in it out of all of the food that it tested. Dark chocolate had an even higher amount of lead in it. Dark chocolate is closer to pure chocolate, so it’s not diluted like milk chocolate is. That means you may be getting levels of lead as high as nearly 6 times the legal limit. (Yes there is a legal limit of lead allowed in food. No wonder people go organic.)
Some of the brands I’ve previously recommended is on this list, including, Lindt, Godiva and Green & Black’s. I’m mortified that I even ate chocolate with lead and cadmium in it, and even more more horrified that I had no idea or indication that it was there. And neither do most people.
Where Does the Lead Come From?
Lead is found in the shells of cacao beans. It naturally absorbs lead from the environment – one of the many amazing things this plant does. But the bean doesn’t absorb any lead. It’s protected by the shell. The bean is what they use to make chocolate, so you’d think that there would be no lead at all in the chocolate, right?
Most of the beans are air dried, which means they absorb all of the foul things in the air while they are outside. The shell is actually processed by chocolate factories, and can be used either for fuel or as an antioxidant. That means chocolate factories put the shells back in food so that they can claim there is a high amount of antioxidants in their food. The result is lead content that is ridiculously high, and isn’t even close to being safe for children, let alone adults.
Hershey had this to say when questioned about lead in their chocolate:
“People have been eating cocoa and chocolate for centuries with no evidence of a single incident of concern regarding these naturally occurring minerals.”Watch Full Movie Online Streaming Online and Download
Yes, there is natural traces of these minerals in food, but we aren’t talking about natural traces. We’re talking about lead and metals from pollution that has been processed in our food. And you’re essentially telling us not to worry about it.
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Won’t Someone Think of the Children?
Me. I’m the children. And no one seems to care about the long-term effect that absorbing lead has on kids (or human beings in general).
According to the EPA, children absorb more lead than adults. That’s because they play in everything, including dirt and water. They will also absorb more of it through their digestive tract, especially if they have a mineral deficiency. Yes, children are especially susceptible to lead poisoning. If they’re getting it through the environment, their food and water, that means they’re absorbing more lead than their little bodies can handle.
The result? Well, side effects may include behavioral problems, developmental delays and all kinds of other nasty stuff that you’ll have to read in the link I provided. I’ve sufficiently horrified you enough.
I don’t have kids but if I were a parent, I’d be upset. I know chocolate isn’t great for kids, mostly because of the sugar content, but I’d still give my kids a treat or two every now and again. So to know that I’m giving my kids high amounts of lead would make me so upset. I’d have to insist on not giving them store bought chocolate anymore, especially considering how flippant Hershey is about the issue.
But that’s just me. I know that, as an adult, I won’t be eating store bought chocolate anymore. I’ll have to insist on raw, organic, vegan chocolate from now on. At least I won’t be knowingly poisoning myself.
What do you think about all of this? Am I being paranoid? Or do you share my pain? Let me know how you feel when you leave a comment.